Saturday, July 30, 2005

Surviving...

So it's come to the end of my first work week in Japan. I arrived in Shibukawa a couple of days ago and moved into my apartment yesterday. The first night was terrifying and lonely, but I survived. It's amazing how isolated you can feel when you have no phone or Internet, and no one around you speaks your language.

Today I managed to get myself online in my apartment. I have to say, that was probably my happiest moment in Japan so far. At least now I have a means of communication and I don't feel so cut off from home.

The teachers at my school have been incredibly welcoming so far. On my first day, my supervisor asked everyone if they could donate household items to me since I don't have anything at my place yet. The next day, I had stacks of plates, towels, blankets, and even homegrown vegetables, sitting at my desk. At least I know I'll be well taken care of.

Tonight I managed to get in touch with a couple of other JETs in the area and they took me out for dinner and showed me around the town. It was really nice to hang out with people who understand exactly what I'm going through. It was interesting to hear about what their first weeks here were like. One girl spent her first five days without Internet and didn't come across a single foreigner during that time. Finally, she decided to just stake out at City Hall and harass the first foreigners she saw. And eventually, she did manage to make friends that way.

I guess I should consider myself pretty lucky. I haven't been here a week yet, and I've managed to get Internet, furniture, and everything else I need. I've also managed to get in touch with other foreigners, and hopefully I'll start meeting more people soon. Now all I need is one of those funky Japanese cell phones...

P.S. In case anyone is curious, I've put up pictures of my apartment here: http://photos.yahoo.com/thelilone17 (just click on the folder called "Japan Apartment").

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home