Saturday, June 10, 2006

School Festival

I heart the students at my all-girls school. Lately I've been a little impatient with my students 'cause sometimes it just feels like they have absolutely no life or energy inside them at all. They just stare at me blankly in class and refuse to answer the simplest questions.

But the school festival today actually reminded me that they can be really cool, bright, subarashi kids. Every homeroom transformed its classroom into something carnivalesque--there were flea markets, mazes, games, food stalls, etc. Here are some of my third graders (Grade 12) behind a candy booth that they set up:















The theme was supposed to be "traditional woman of Japan" so quite a few of them were dressed up in traditional clothes:















This is one of the few times that I've actually seen my students be so energetic. Everyone was so loud and happy, I almost didn't recognize them. It was really nice to see them outside the classroom where they seem to be a lot more comfortable expressing their personalities. Here are two of my favourite students who are in the equivalent of Grade 11:




















So it was a really good day, despite the fact that I had to work on a Saturday. I've been feeling really jaded towards Japan lately and I think this was the spirit booster that I needed. I only have six weeks left of teaching, and today just made me realize that I'm actually going to miss my students.

Oh yeah, and have I ever mentioned that my school has peacocks in the courtyard? A little bizarre, but also pretty cool:















Here's the one with the cool feathers. He makes the most noise:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home