Monday, October 17, 2005

Surpriiiise!!!

I was thrown my first official surprise party :) We went for karoake, had some drinks and fried food, and sung till our lungs hurt--everything from Bette Midler to old school Green Day. I think tonight was the first time I realized that I'm actually having a pretty good time out here. It's far from home and things don't make sense 95% of the time, but it's nice to know that there are others around me who are in the same boat and know exactly what I'm going through. I guess sometimes all you need is a little karoake to put things in the right perspective...

Oh, and they even acknowledged my birthday at school! Two of my students came up to me and said in their best English: "Abi-san, we hear it is your birthday--is it true?" When I said yes, one of the girls pulled out a whole bunch of candy from her pocket and gave it to me. I also got presents from two of the teachers: a Japanese cook book and a picture frame. So overall, it's been a pretty happy 23rd birthday...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home