Saturday, July 15, 2006

Goodbye Moss Burger

I had my last meal at the local Moss Burger today. God only knows when I'll get my next chance to eat a rice burger. I've had some good times here...sigh...

So this is my last weekend in Shibukawa. At this time next week, I'll be with my parents in Tokyo, getting ready to travel around Japan and China.

I have to say, I'm not really enjoying this time of year. I'm not a fan of good-byes, especially not awkward ones. My technical high school had a special farewell ceremony for me on Friday and I had to do a goodbye speech in Japanese. Not really sure how much they understood. Oh well.

It really does suck saying goodbye to people though. I think I'd much rather just exchange casual "see you laters" and completely lookover the fact that we may never see each other again. It's just much easier that way. But in the spirit of being sentimental (since that's what this time of year seems to call for), here is a list of things that I've learned during my time here:

  • If I can communicate with other people in the same language, there are very few problems that can't be solved. I can't count the number of times the littlest things have turned into big problems/frustrations here simply because I couldn't speak the language. It's gonna be really nice to go home and finally be able to be independent again, and not have to do things like bring my supervisor my mail so she can read it to me. It's strange, but I think my incompetence here has actually given me a lot more confidence in my ability to take care of things back home.
  • Knitting and Sudoku puzzles are fun. Japanese people love to ask you what your hobby is (mostly because it's one of the few questions they know how to ask in English), and when I first got here I never had an interesting response to this question. I always had to say uninteresting things like "reading" and "watching TV". But all the spare time I've had over the past year has actually given me a chance to venture into less boring (albeit more dorky) hobbies :)
  • Family is important. I've been living away from home since I was 17, but I think that is the most that I've ever missed my family. Maybe because for the first time in about a decade, everyone in my family (except for me) is actually in the same city again. It really, really sucked being all the way across the Pacific Ocean when my first nephew was born. If I had to name a single regret about being in Japan, I think that would be it.
  • Long-distance relationships suck, but they're worth it for the right person. Thanks for everything you've done for me this year, Raoul--from the surprise flowers on Valentine's Day, to the hazelnut Domo cake. It hasn't been easy, but you've made it work.
Anyway, I think that's enough sentimental sap for one night. I just needed a break from packing and felt the need to start defining my experiences here. The next time I post, I'll probably be back in Vancouver! Hurray!!! O Canada, how I've missed you. I really have. It's gonna be really good to be home again.

1 Comments:

At 4:13 AM, Blogger Sharon said...

Erbs! Are you ever updating again?!!! I want to read up on your Osgoodian antics!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home